DOT-6 prepares other tourist destinations in WV after order to close Boracay

Department of Tourism (DOT-6) Director Helen Catalbas. Photo by Iloilo Metropolitan Times
Department of Tourism (DOT-6) Director Helen Catalbas. (Photo by Iloilo Metropolitan Times/ Reymar Latoza)

The Department of Tourism (DOT-6) is now preparing other tourist destinations in Western Visayas for the possible influx of visitors following the closure of Boracay Island.

DOT-6 Regional Director Helen J. Catalbas said she had already met with tourism officers and local officials in the region to discuss the readiness of their places.

According to her, local government units (LGUs) should make sure that their tourist destinations are all set to receive and accommodate tourists.

Boracay is the major tourist drawer in Western Visayas. Last year it welcomed more than two million local and foreign tourists.

But aside from Boracay, Catalbas said there are a lot of beautiful beaches in the region, especially in Iloilo and Negros Occidental.

Last week, President Rodrigo DuterteĀ approved the recommendation of the inter-agency task force to close Boracay Island for six months.

The closure order will take effect on April 26, 2018.IMT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here