A symposium that seeks to improve Western Visayas’ tourism crisis management will be held in Iloilo City next week.
The Regional Tourism Crisis Management Symposium is set on Aug. 28 at Grand Xing Imperial Hotel. It will be spearheaded by the Department of Tourism (DOT-6).
The DOT-6 said the event will be attended by tourism stakeholders across the region.
These stakeholders, according to the tourism department, play an important role in addressing “risk factors such as political turmoil, economic instabilities, social disturbances, technological attacks and environmental hazards that can lead to a crisis in the region’s tourism industry.”
The symposium’s specific objectives include the following:
- To identify the corresponding responsibilities of the tourism stakeholders, in the implementation of rules and regulations governing crisis management situation;
- To review the existing policies of Hospitality industry in asserting their policies for the Risk Reduction Management;
- To enhance the safety measures for all stakeholders;
- To make a commitment arising the threats/risks natural and/or human induced calamities and how to prevent/solve crises;
- To strengthen the travel business with a consensus and unified action plan amongst industry players (Aviation, Accommodation, Tour Operation, Land and Sea Transport, Insurance Companies, etc.) in order to achieve a business as usual at the midst of a crisis through diversity and one program approach; and,
- To educate and empower tourism industries crisis PR Management including maximization of digital presence so they can ably handle controversial issues before they become a crisis that may scare away tourists.