The Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in Western Visayas are set to turn over seven tourism road projects to the local government unit (LGU) of Iloilo City.
These projects under the DOT-DPWH Convergence Program are aimed to facilitate tours and ease traffic conditions going to heritage sites in Iloilo.
Included in the DOT-DPWH Convergence Program for Fiscal Year 2015 are rehabilitation/ concreting and upgrading, widening and improvement of the following:
- Donato Pison St., Brgy. San Rafael leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, Mandurriao district
- Pavement Cuartero St., Brgy. Cuartero leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, Jaro district
- Arguelles St., Brgy. Arguelles leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, Jaro district
- Benedicto St., Brgy. Benedicto leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, Jaro district
- Compania-Fundidor St., Molo leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, Molo district
- Magdalo St. leading to Iloilo City Tour, Heritage Sites, La Paz district
- Tacas Road, Jaro district
These road projects were proposed by Iloilo City Lone District Congressman Jerry P. Treñas who also authored R.A. 10555, which declares certain sites in Iloilo City as Heritage Sites.
Before the official turn over, DOT-6 Regional Director Helen J. Catalbas and DPWH-6 Regional Director Edilberto Tayao will sign a memorandum of agreement 9MOA with Iloilo city Mayo Jed Patrick Mabilog.
The MOA aims to ensure the efficient execution of local road projects under the DOT-DPWH Convergence Program through close coordination between the two national government agencies and the LGU concerned during the planning, implementation (including pre-construction and construction/improvement works/activities), maintenance of the completed local road projects (including repair and rehabilitation) and monitoring and evaluation covering their outputs (physical works) and outcomes (impact).
Under the MOA, DOT will provide technical assistance to the LGU staff to improve their capacity on techniques for monitoring and evaluation of project outcomes and impact, e.g. tourist arrivals, related businesses, employment and income, technical assistance in providing baseline data for the monitoring and evaluation plan and share with the LGU the DOT monitoring reports on the project outcomes. IMT