Ompong leaves ‘minimal damage’ in Western Visayas

Passengers are stranded at the Iloilo Ferry Terminal in Iloilo City on Sept. 15 due to Typhoon Ompong. (Photo by OCD-6)

Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) left “minimal damage” in Western Visayas, according to the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC).

Ma. Aletha Nogra of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD-6), said the region did not suffer big losses due to Ompong, the strongest typhoon so far this year.

Western Visayas was not directly affected by Ompong. The region only experienced light to moderate rains brought by the southwest monsoon or habagat enhanced by the typhoon.

Ompong entered the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Sept. 12.

Nogra said a total of 390 families or 1,259 individuals were evacuated in the provinces of Antique, Guimaras, and Negros Occidental.

“All evacuees have already returned to their houses.”

Nogra said only a few houses were damaged in the region. According to a report released by the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), 15 houses in the towns of Tigbauan (10) and San Joaquin (5) were damaged. 

The RDRRMC monitored five landslide incidents in Antique (3), Guimaras (1), and Negros Occidental (1) but no one was hurt.

No bridges, roads and major structures were destroyed, Nogra said.

The damage to agriculture has yet to be determined.

About 300 passengers were stranded at ports in Iloilo after the Philippine Coast Guard suspended sea trips on Sept. 15.

Classes in some towns and cities in the region were cancelled from Sept. 12 to 14.

Ompong exited the PAR on Saturday night, Sept. 15.

Nogra said no casualties were recorded in the region.

OCD-6 administers the RDRRMC, which is composed of various government agencies and non-government organizations.IMT