The coastal waters of Gigantes Islands in the town of Carles, Iloilo have been found positive for “paralytic shellfish poison” (PSP), according to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR-6).
Based on latest bulletin issued by the BFAR-6, “PSP toxin level in shellfish samples collected from the coastal waters of Gigantes Islands reached 80 microgram saxitoxin (ugSTXeg)/100 grams.”
The BFAR-6 said that all types of shellfish from these areas are not safe for human consumption.
“The public is advised to refrain from eating, gathering or harvesting, transporting and marketing shellfish from the coastal waters of the Gigantes Islands,” it said.
PSP, according to the BFAR-6, is life-threatening.
“After ingestion, this poison immediately affects the nervous system, with symptoms usually occurring within 30 minutes. Severity depends on the amount of toxin ingested,” it said.
“Initial reactions are tingling of the lips and tongue, which spreads to the face, neck, fingertips and toes. Headache, dizziness and nausea follow,” the BFAR-6 added.
Fish is safe for eating provided that it is “fresh, washed thoroughly and its internal organs were removed before cooking.”
Currently, the BFAR-6 and local government unit (LGU) of Carles are “closely monitoring” the waters of Gigantes Islands “to safeguard public health and protect the fishery industry.” IMT