Telco’s aid sought to track down Iloilo City bomb threat suspect

The Iloilo City Police Station I has asked a telecommunications company for access to its electronic records following the bomb threat at the Iloilo Hall of Justice on Monday, March 11.

Lt. Col. Jonathan Pablito, chief of Police Station I, said on Tuesday, March 12, the request was made for investigation purposes as the perpetrator can be traced through phone records.

The police will also be able to identify if the caller used a postpaid or prepaid number.

“If postpaid, we can really have the name. If it’s prepaid we can only request (the telephone company) and triangulate other numbers that had been contacted by the perpetrator and ask them for the identity of the caller,” he said.

The bomb threat was sent by an unknown caller and received by Rosan San Luis, administrative assistant of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) at 8:37 a.m. on Monday.

As the police anticipates several hindrances regarding their request from the telecom company due to the Data Privacy Act, Pablito said the police will ask Hall of Justice Executive Judge Victor Gelvezon for the proper way to get a court order for the telephone company “to be cleared to give the information of the number (of the perpetrator) and its origin.”

“We will propose legislations regarding these… that when you use electronic means, when you use telephones, cellular phones, landlines, internet to make threats, (records) will be open to the law enforcement,” Pablito said, adding that the Data Privacy Act sometimes pose a challenge to the police in evidence gathering.

Republic Act 10173 or the Data Privacy Act of 2012 protects the fundamental human right of privacy of communication while ensuring the free flow of information to promote innovation and growth.PNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here